G'day!
Again as usual as special welcome to my congregation, Hi Emily, Josara, Julia and Cord (possibly...haha).
First up, big news, just two days after my blog entry about the plans of the Australian government to censor the internet Communications Minister, Stephen Conroy has started to distance himself from his own plans.
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2009/04/01/1238261622790.html
I feel pretty good now, I guess my blog entry made the world a little better place. But as you can see in the article above, the plan is not yet completely abandoned yet. So sign the online protest movement (link on entry of 29.03.09)!
Today is the 1st of April, April fools day. Same as back home people here are playing pranks on each other. But as the Australian humor is, let's call it, more of the robust persuasion it get's a little more interesting around here. Australian humor can safely be described as the type of mallet-over-your-head-and-we-all-piss-ourselves-laughing-while-you-bleed-like-hell humor. It's not the pitch black humor of the English it's more the humor of a 12 year old or professional rugby player. Farts, rubber tits and the aforementioned mallet over the head. Just to clarify my point of view, I really like Australian humor maybe because I myself still am 12 year old sometimes, if you know what I mean and I'm pretty sure you do.
But you can imagine that the April fools day pranks are a little more on the rough side. Just to give you an idea, the next link is about what happened around here today:
http://www.theage.com.au/national/april-fools-pranksters-out-in-force-20090401-9iso.html
But I did a little research and found some April fools pranks which only didn't end up at the Darwin awards as they were not fatal in their outcome:
I really liked the one from Northern Queensland a few years ago, when some farmer thought he'd play an awesome prank on his neighbor. He caught a Kangaroo and managed together with some mates to put it in his neighbors bedroom. The terrified animal wrecked the whole bedroom in it's panic and when the bedroom door was opened not by the neighbor but by his 8 year old daughter, the Kangaroo ran her over when it escaped. Luckily the daughter only got a concussion and some bruises from that...
Another good one was done by a Steve Irvin wanna-be in the Northern Territory. This guy wanted to play a prank on his girlfriend who really hated snakes. He went out into the bush and caught this harmless snake which he put into a box that he gift wrapped and put in her living room. The girl unpacked the box and there was the snake and then she screamed and dropped the box and the snake was already nervous went into defend mode and when the guy wanted to pick her up again bit him. He didn't think much about it until 10 min later he began to feel a little funny and again luckily his girlfriend took him to the next hospital where he arrived just in time to get an antidote as this idiot caught a quite similar looking snake than the one he wanted which is quite deadly...
But my favorite April fools day story is from Western Australia. In the early 80ies the editor of "The West Australian" from Perth decided to go for an awesome April Fools story. In their issue for the 1st of April they did a fake story on a local brewery which would give away beer for free between 10 and 12am that day. This is a nice story if you forget that Australians take their beer serious. You don't joke about beer, not even on April fools day. So several hundred people turned up and they were thirsty. They wanted their free beer. They were not pleased when some bloke from the brewery told them "Haha, April fools!". They were really not pleased, you could say they were pissed off. Yes, you better don't joke about free beer in Australia. What followed turned out to grow into a riot and would have probably become a decent riot if the brewery management hadn't been quick enough. They just gave the crowd the "promised" free beer...I guess there has been a lawsuit later....
I cleaned more artefacts today and by now I had it all. You would say "rocks" but I had flakes, cores, tools and bones. I'll report on this later as I have to cook Lasagne now and I will also put up the recipe tomorrow. Have fun, take care cya...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment