Monday, 22 June 2009

Thoughts on the demonstrations in Iran

G´day,

And another special welcome to my congregation, Hello Emily, Josara, Julia, Cord, Daniel, Andrew, Scott, Bill and Jan. I have watched the news from Iran quite closly over the last week and I can only say that I admire the spirit of the people who go and demonstrate in Iran.

I had my fair share of demonstrations when I was younger and I still have enough rage towards certain topics inside me to still take it out on the streets and show the assholes at the top that I am no sheep. But demonstrations in Germany or other western democracies are a little more on the easy going side. The worst thing that can happen is that you get walloped with the good old truncheon and get arrested for 23.59 hours and then they kick you out again. The pigs around here don´t actually shoot you. And an arrest might be a little unpleasant but usually you don´t get tortured (even the US officially banned their torturing practice since January 2009) or disappear without a trace. And let´s face it, attending a demonstration as a teenager is like feeling a true rebel for one day.

But attending a demonstration in Tehran these days means to risk getting shot, getting arrested (and not only you, once they know who you are they might arrest you family), getting imprisoned for noone know how long, getting tortured or whatever the fuckers there decide to do with you. That´s not playing rebel for a day, to go on the streets there takes true balls and I really admire the people who have them!

To be perfectly honest I have no idea if I had the balls to do that and I´m very grateful being in a situation where I don´t have to find out if I have.

Well, I try to do whatever I can on the internet to show my solidarity and can only call on you all to do the same. That´s all for today, have fun, take care and cya...

No comments:

Post a Comment