After the last blog entry where I just had to let some steam off, I move on to more pleasant things today. A little while ago my external hard drive died and in the process approx. 750 GB of movies, songs and porn went into digital nirvana. I was able to get some stuff back but I'm still trying to find all the great music I have gathered over the last five years. Well, I have been able to retrieve the top ten albums of all times and in this blog entry I'll enlighten you what they are and why.
The albums are not in the best to weakest order, they are just the ten albums I would choose if I had only ten albums to take with me to the infamous deserted island.
The best Turbonegro album, period. There might be some who favor "Ass Cobra" or "Apocalypse Dudes" or even the post-split stuff but that's a matter of taste and mine is better. "Never is forever" has it all, a young brilliant punk-rock band still on the verge of finding their unique style, still experimenting a little left and right of the way but everything they will become famous for is already there: humor, gay references, riffs that stay in your head and attitude galore. This is a must have...if you are into punk and don't have this album already, buy it!
My favorite Nick Cave album. It's even harder to pick the best album of this veritable music genius. I simply love this album, "Red right hand" is maybe the best song he did and "I let love in" probably the best description of what you feel when you fall in love that was ever made. Another must have in any music collection...
My favorite Rolling Stones' album. This is an artefact of a band at the top end of their creativity and musical development. During the recording of Exile Keith began to use heroin on a daily base and we all know that even though heroin is a bad drug it can be great for musicians...well, Keith's guitar on the whole thing is just fuckin genius and especially the guitar work on Exile is one of the reasons why I became a guitarist...
Electric Six are one of the funniest bands on this planet. They are the answer to Frank Zappa's question: "Does humor belong in music?". And Switzerland is my favorite album because it's flawless. I mean 99.9% of all albums have at least one filler, one song that is "well, allright" or maybe even downright shite but Switzerland contains only killers. Dick Valentine's lyrics are just the best stuff ever written, surrealistic borderlining on Dadaism, taking political correctness and fucking it in the ass and they always make me laugh. This is pure genius. The music is a mixture of more or less every style available but with a solid punk rock attitude."Calling unprotected girls-Infected girls-Do it better[...]I gave you my heart-I gave you my soul-Now I'm just another number at the center for disease control..."
or
"Now there was once a man-Who walked the earth with no shoes-He went from town to town-Playing rhythm and blues-And there was love in every note that he played-And there was truth in every word that he sang-He offered those who believed his guarantee-But somehow he missed me"
or
"I bought my girlfriend a chocolate pope-'Cause she seems to be at the end of her rope-Italian candy with SWISS chocolate flavor-Such a delicious, delicious way-To save her"
Well, if you don't own that album, buy it now!
Probably the best album of the 1990s. Ween is one of the bands who have some songs (actually a lot of the early stuff) which hurt listening to and some songs that could have been composed by Lennon/McCartney at their best. This is another flawless album. 16 songs and they are all great. Every song has a different style and "Buenos tardes amigo" is probably the best county/western parody every. "Spinal Meningitis (Got Me Down)" is just so wrong that it's funny again, the little boy's voice singing "I'm feelin' greasy mommy-Please don't let me die-Stinky vaseline mommy!-Please don't let me die-Am I gonna see God, mommy?-Am I gonna die?-It really hurts mommy!-Am I gonna die?" and then the beautiful harmonics in the chorus "Smile on mighty Jesus-Spinal Meningitis got me down". Awesome. "Mister, Would You Please Help My Pony?" is again one of the songs I would put on a surrealistic rock n roll compilation.
Fresh fruit for rotting vegetables, a punk rock classic. The Dead Kennedys' first album is simply THE political punk rock album. These songs have shaped my youth and led me into the punk rock scene. I was 14 when I heard the Dead Kennedys for the first time and they had a massive impact on me. Jello Biafra's lyrics are just so to the point and so true in a cynical way and I would even dare to say that this album is one of the corner stones of modern punk rock!
Roky Erickson & The Aliens "I think of demons". Even if I tend to repeat myself (well, those ARE my top ten albums, so it is excusable) this album is pure gold. Roky Erickson has one of the greatest voices in rock n roll and a similar tragic life story as Syd Barrett but on the bright side he has produced more great music than Syd and is still alive. I think of demons was the first album Roky recorded after his years in the Rusk State Hospital for the Criminally Insane and it's again a perfect album, not one filler. I first heard this album while I was on my very first acid trip in 1996 at Marc's place and I will always remember what I saw on the wall while listening to "Stand for the fire demon". This is another must have for any decent music collection...
The next band from Austin, TX in my top ten. I love the Buttholes and this album is my favorite. I own the LP and I guess it's the only LP in history being a double LP with only three sides, the fourth side has no groove it's just plain vinyl with drawings on it. My favorite line is from "Cough syrup": "I can't talk so I guess I have nothing to say", I love it. The songs on Electric Larryland are much softer than the older stuff, very beautiful. Well, with the Buttholes I guess you should just buy the entire discography as they are just all great.
Well, there is no better album against a sudden attack of depression than this one. All songs are killers and one is more funny than the next...nuff said...
Last I choose this album for my top ten. Well, it's not one of the best albums ever made by objective standards but it's my selection and if I were to choose only ten albums to be able to listen to for the rest of my life, this would be one of them.That's all for today, I hope some of you will tell me their choices for the best ten albums when we next meet for a beer or two...I'm looking forward to it...
Have fun, take care and listen to a lot of music, it makes life better...
Cya

No comments:
Post a Comment