Sunday, 24 May 2009

Random pictures, my friend Otto singing, recent German news on the German past and why Bavaria isn´t Germany

G´day again,

And a very special welcome to my congregation, Hi Emm, Josara, Julia, Cord and Andrew. I hope you are still reading and have not already given up on me. And I´m sorry that I became lazy but on days when I spend already 8 hours on the comp I don´t have the creative energy to do a decent blog entry. Well I don´t want my standards to suffer...

This entry will feature some pics from my parent’s garden.

The pond is quite beautiful and even has a tortoise living in it, the only drawback are the damn frogs. Apparently it´s frog mating season now and a male frog doesn´t buy a fancy car or flashy clothes to attract females, they think behave like Heavy Metal bands, the louder the better. And our frogs have Manowar qualities, so to speak. And they don´t stop at dusk, no they quack even louder. Even the old threat with the straw didn´t stop them, maybe they sense that unnecessary cruelty towards animals is not my cup of tea...

Anyway, frog sexuality is, apart from the noisiness, quite interesting. One can say that the frogs taste in sex would be either orgy or rather mass-rape. The pond is full of clusters of frogs, one female somewhere at the bottom and 20 males trying to score. The cynic in me reminds me that certain locations in the human world on a Saturday night very much resemble that behavior, well more civilised of course and with the help of alcohol but nevertheless... Btw, this is my mum trying to take a pic of me but I was faster... And this is my old workplace and Björn, my successor. Please note the Nick Cave pic in the top right hand corner. The underline says: "I don´t do it that often anymore but masturbation at my desk has always been a relief for me" This is my friend Alex, we know each other for over 20 years now and she came to visit me two weekends ago. I also have a pic of Alex in cool: Well, my sunnies will make anyone appear cool.

The weekend after I visited my old friend Otto, who was one of the first of my friends to breed. In 1998 he got his first son who was names "Jan". I was a little proud but Jan is a good name anyway. Last time I saw Jan was over 3 years ago and he was still a little shy boy but now he´s already a big guy: Otto and his woman Mickey have a patch in the communal garden with a little house and trees and veggies and stuff, so we sat there and drank beer. And talked and drank some more. And when it was dark we lit a fire and drank some more. And talked music and at one point (like always) we got the guitar and played stuff. I recorded Otto´s version of the old German folk song "König von Thule" at probably 4.00am after we have already finished the first crate of beer and were working through the second one. You can´t actually see anything but the sound is quite ok. Enjoy...


As I always wanted to use this blog to also tell some stories from Germany which won´t make the Australian news, here is a story I personally find quite interesting. In oder to understand the significance of the news I have to explain some historical contexts.

In the mid sixties the global youth movement also reached Germany´s students. Political awareness grew and the students started to organise themselves and do the usual urban guerilla activities, demonstrate against the war in Vietnam, wave Che Guevara flags and smoke pot. The special situation in Germany was that in the mid sixties many university professors and political officials still had a Nazi-past. Well the 3rd Reich has ended just 20 years before so the global generation conflict had the additional layer of fighting against the ghosts of the past. All in all the German political youth movement was not better or worse than in the other countries until the Shah of Persia came for an official visit in early June 1967. On the 2nd of June 1967 was a huge demonstration planed in West-Berlin against the Shah (symbol of a fascistic oppressive system, puppet of the imperialistic Americans and so on). During this demonstration the student Benno Ohnesorg was killed by a shot to the back of his head by the cop Karl-Heinz Kurras, from a distance of 1.5m. Benno Ohnesorg became a martyr for the student movement and the whole student movement got radical. Historians point this event as the birth hour of the German terror movement of the seventies.

Well that is all history but last week journalists revealed and proved that Karl-Heinz Kurras was an East German agent. So right now the newspapers are full of speculations if the death of Benno Ohnesorg and the resulting chaos was planed and directed by East Germany. It would kind of fit as they have supported the West-German terrorist groups in the 70ies but I guess you can´t prove anything here.

And the last note on Germany for today is the experience my sister just had in Bavaria. My sister will start a new job as a medical doctor shortly and doctors, as well as some other professionals, have to swear an oath on the constitution and sign some papers that they are not members or supporters of extremist organisations. So far so good, I had to do that also when I got sworn in to do the practical part of my studies and worked as a legal professional. My sister had to swear not on the German constitution but on the Bavarian constitution. And then she got this form she had to sign that she is no member or supporter of extremist organisations. This had a list attached with all the organisation the Bavarian country government considers extremistic. It had the usual suspects on them, like Islamic jihad and the revolutionary trotzkistic movement but it also had the political party "Die Linke" which is Germany´s socialistic party on it. "Die Linke" is currently in the German House of Representatives with around 7%. Not even the conservatives tried to initiate a process to find out if Die Linke might be a forbidden organisation. So in Bavaria you could be a member of a normal democratic party but you would have a note in your work documents that you are an "Extremist". That´s Bavaria for you...it might be beautiful and stuff but if you come to visit Germany, I can show you other beautiful spots with a better atmosphere...

No comments:

Post a Comment